STATEMENT FROM MARIE BARRY, ON BEHALF OF CUBA SOLIDARITY FORUM IRELAND:
1. Cuba Solidarity Forum Ireland has established a formal partnership to supply Hospital Hermanos Ameijeiras in Havana with much needed medical equipment.
2. Yesterday our colleague Jack Mc Ginley presented some of the supplies to Dr. Copo. We have forged a good relationship over the past few months with Dr. Copo and have been helped by Dr. David Hickey in Dublin. I can assure you that the supplies were gratefully received.
3. This hospital was opened in 1982 by President Fidel Castro to cater for the needs of all the Cuban people. Over the past 40 years it has served them extremely well, despite the U.S. blockade. Visible from the Malecon, it stands tall and proud.
4. However, since Trump’s sanctions were added to the already crucifying blockade, the hospital has become bereft of basic medical equipment.
5. It is our mission now to work together, to raise funds to provide this hospital with needed supplies, on an ongoing basis. We hope that you will all participate and support this endeavour to the best of your ability. (Pictures of bulk shipment being dispatched.)
6. We wish to thank all who have contributed to this new campaign already. It is so heartening to feel that our efforts come at a time of such dire need for the Cuban people and is so much appreciated.
7. Our new Cuban Ambassador to Ireland, H.E. Bernardo Guanche, and his wife Mabel with whom I spoke today, asked me to express their appreciation for this wonderful, kind gesture.